The 2016 Holiday Season is in full swing. Decorations are up, shopping centers are busy, cards are being mailed, children’s pageants, musical celebrations at church and holiday parties to attend. Christmas is only one week from today.
This means January 1, 2017 is two weeks away. Just 14 days until 2016 is behind us & we welcome in a New Year. The start of 2017 is a Transition.
Our Church Girls Founder, Sophia Nelson, is going to make available a new course through her “Now 2 Next Woman” vertical (http://now2nextwoman.com/ ) Twitter: @Now2NextWoman which will be called “Transitions”.
Transitions – What does that word mean to you? Does it scare you, like thinking about “change”? Or do you welcome it is a part of life?
Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines the word Transition as “a passage from one state, stage, subject, or place to another: a movement, development, or evolution from one form, stage, or style to another” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transitions).
The Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes “There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.” – Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
This scripture is filled with life transitions. There are other transitions that many of us experience during our life’s journey.
- It is a Transition to graduate high school.
- It is a Transition if you go to college.
- It is a Transition if you get married.
- It is a Transition if you become a parent.
- It is a Transition when you change careers.
- It is a Transition when your parents become elderly.
- It is a Transition when the children in your life grow up & become adults.
- It is a Transition every 4 years when we have a Presidential Election.
- It is a Transition when you age from one decade into the next.
- It is a Transition when a loved ones die.
As we continue to quiclkly approach 2017, what “Transitions” do you need to make to improve your life? We’re not talking about New Year’s Resolutions that over 80% of people will have already broken by mid- January.
One of the best transitions you can make is to stop living in the past.
When January 1, 2017 arrives, we will no longer be living in 2016. 2016 will be in the past.
The Bible is filled with verses encouraging us to focus on what’s in front of us…not behind.
- “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?” – Isaiah 43 18:19
- Paul spoke not living in the past in Philippians 3:13”…. I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on.”
- “Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62. (This clearly shows that GOD expects us to live forward, not looking back.)
- Even in the very first book of the Bible, there are warnings about looking back instead of ahead. “But Lot’s wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.” – Genesis 19:26
Reviewing the past will never help to improve the past. We do not live in the past and nothing we ever think, do, or try can ever change it. What we can do is transition into 2017 with hope and expectancy. We can commit to positive and healthy choices to exercise regularly and eat right. We can spend less time on social media and more time fellowshipping with loved ones in person. It is endless the things we do have the power over to make the transition into 2017 amazing. Our past does not define us. It does not determine your future success. Your past does not mean your 2017 will not be filled with blessings, good health, a new career, finding your true love, going back to school, moving to your dream city and so many other wonderful things! However, you will miss the promise of the New Year, if you are always looking backwards. YOU can change YOU starting right now! Start your positive Transition into 2017! Live Forward!
Editors Note. We have a great book for you to order as a Holiday Gift! You can pre-order Sophia’s new book “E Pluribus ONE”, which will make a wonderful read for every one of your list….including you! This is a non-partisan book and the message is clear and inspirational. America’s history is filled with stories of ordinary citizens doing extraordinary things out of deep love for their country. No matter one’s political affiliation, the 2016 Presidential Election highlighted divisions among us. Sophia’s new book features American men and women of different races, religions, economic backgrounds, and regions of the country. Each person in “E Pluribus ONE” was specifically picked by Sophia to remind us our differences do not actually divide us; they serve as reminders that we are a country UNITED by its deep belief that “all men are created equal” and entitled to inalienable rights of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”. After reading “E Pluribus ONE” you will have a deeper appreciation that no matter how we may differ, we are still ONE America.
You can pre-order from Books-A-Million and save 25% off! If you are a member, you will save another 10% off. In addition, every pre-order will receive a free “Make America One” wristband!
Pre-order your copy via BooksAMillion by clicking HERE.
Follow Sophia’s New Book “E Pluribus One”:
Use hashtag: “MakeAmericaOne” and share your personal stories with Sophia!